Volunteers wanted for Kids Day 2018
For more information on Kid's Day, click HERE
AEA Candidate Questionnaire
Click here to view the Mayoral and School Board candidate responses to AEA's candidate questionnaire on public education.
Candidate responses have not been altered or edited in any way. Each response has been truncated to 40 words for this publication.
New TA! Review the Details Below:
Here is the latest version of the TA, accompanying letter of intent, a letter from the bargaining team, and our summary of the TA . The most significant changes are listed first, other changes next, and then a section explaining the improvements between the two TA's. Improvements, as compared to our current contract, are shown in green, neutral items in yellow, and negatives in red. Take some time to read carefully, including the important message from your bargaining team. It is our hope that, after reflective consideration, you will vote to ratify! We will be working in a number of ways to answer all the member's questions:
- Please email President Tom Klaameyer or members of the bargaining team.
- All-member meeting in the Bartlett HS theater on February 13, 2018, 5:30-7:30 pm.
- Contact your building rep if interested in having us (as available, may be our UniServ Directors, bargaining team members, the AEA President, or some combination) come to your site for vital discussions with members.
The electronic voting for ratification will open during the member meeting at 7pm on Feb 13., and remain open until 4pm on Friday, Feb. 16.
AEA Mayoral and School Board Candidate Forum
Anchorage Education Association represents over 3,500 active and retired educators in Anchorage. On your behalf, we have asked candidates to take a few minutes and respond to our survey questions that educators care about.
Candidate responses will be made available to our members in two forms; printed in a voter guide (responses truncated at 40 words) made available at the forum and posted on our website at anchorageea.org after February 8th.
Anchorage Education Association would like to thank the candidates for their service in choosing to run for this elected office and taking time to share their views with our members.
AEA Candidate Forum, King Career Center (2650 E. Northern Lights Blvd., Room 1)
Thursday, February 15th from 5:30-8:00 pm
Renew our public presence: Attend and testify at a School Board meeting!
To testify, sign up online (Click Here to sign up) or in person before the meeting. We need as many members as possible to tell their stories! Professionally and respectfully inform the school board what it would take in the contract to demonstrate that they value and respect educators. Don't be nervous - we are the experts - we speak for a living!
THESE SCHOOLS ATTEND the Board Meeting THIS Monday, January 8th @ 7pm:
- High Schools: Bartlett, South
- Middle Schools: Mears, Hanshew, Mirror Lake, Wendler
- Elementary Schools: Airport Heights, Bayshore, Gladys Wood, Kincaid, Klatt, O'Malley, Ocean View, Ptarmigan, Rabbit Creek, Taku, Sand Lake, Scenic Park, Springhill, Tudor, Williwaw, Wonder Park
- Alternate/Charter: Benny Benson, Chinook, iSchool, King Career Center, Whaley
- Itinerants: Attend with your assigned "home" school
Monday, January 22nd @ 7pm:
- High Schools: Chugiak, Eagle River
- Middle Schools: Begich, Gruening
- Elementary Schools: Alpenglow, Baxter, Chester Valley, Chugiak, College Gate, Fire Lake, Homestead, Lake Hood, Lake Otis, North Star, Nunaka Valley, Ravenwood, Rogers Park, Turnagain, Willow Crest
- Alternate/Charter: Aquarian, Birchwood ABC, Boniface Education Center, Eagle Academy, Eagle River, Northwood ABC, Stellar, Susitna, Winterberry
- Itinerants: Attend with your assigned "home" school
Communicate directly with the School Board:
We also need members to send emails to School Board members (SchoolBoard@asdk12.org). Below is the assignment schedule for each site to send their emails. By following the schedule we will have an impressive and sustainable showing of support.
- Jan 9 - 13: Airport Heights, Bartlett HS, Bayshore, Hanshew MS, O'Malley, Springhill, Tudor, Whaley
- Jan 14 - 18: Benny Benson, Gladys Wood, Kincaid, King Career Center, Mears MS, Mirror Lake MS, Ocean View, Rabbit Creek, Scenic Park, Taku
- Jan 19 - 21: Chinook, Klatt, Ptarmigan, Sand Lake, South HS, Wendler MS, Williwaw, Wonder Park
- Itinerants: Email with your assigned "home" school
AEA Good Teaching Series: Turnitin.com
Come learn how to leverage and love a great tool that the District funds for middle and high school educators: Turnitin.com!
This online tool for classroom educators helps provide quick and helpful feedback for students on almost any type of activity including PowerPoints, dance recitals, solo performances, artwork, and anything that can be submitted as a PDF. Feedback is one of the most effective teaching strategies used to increase student achievement, and Turnitin.com can speed up this process.
This session will quickly cover the basics, and then move into creating enhanced comments tied to resources to maximize feedback, creating and using custom or imported rubrics, and the use of some awesome peer revision tools.
Members can register in MLP as a course in the Teacher Institute Seminar Series (TISS). Teachers obtaining 15 hours of qualified TISS training are eligible to request Advanced Academy CEU (AdvACEU). Teachers can earn one AdvA CEU per school year for salary advancement and by DEED for recertification.
AEA's NEW Newsletter: The AEA Spotlight
Molly Deming, our AEA VP of Communications, has taken on the task of compiling our new AEA newsletter, the AEA Spotlight! Many thanks to her for volunteering to keep our members "in the loop", in addition to her AEA Board duties, and along with the hard work she does every day at school! If you have content, pictures, stories, member accolades or anything else exciting in the ASD/AEA community, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nordic Ski Association Solstice Tree Tour 2017: Thank you AEA volunteers!
Your AEA Rep Council voted to participate in this festive community event by sponsoring a tree. Susan Ritter (Service HS) volunteered to head up organizing AEA's effort in decorating this year's tree. Thank you to her, and our other AEA member and community volunteers: Jeff Ritter (Susan's husband, who helped put up lights on his birthday), Laura Kautzman (Bayshore Elem), Judy Campbell (Gifted Program) and Harold Campbell, Nora Matell (Highland Academy), Christine Zelinsky (Dimond HS), Christi Sitz (ASD Ed. Center) and Tana Hart (Retired ASD), and JP Tarpath for use of the much needed generator!
Our volunteers gave out 525 mini candy canes, and made 9 thermoses of hot cocoa for the hundreds of people who came out to view the trees along the Mize Loop.
The tree had boxes wrapped in colorful paper, and on every box were the names of all the ASD schools. Almost every student looked for, or excitedly asked if their school was on a box, and they were assured, it was!
This was a great success, and we received wonderful and positive feedback for our tree and the decorations.
Thank you all!
STAND UP! SHOW UP! We need YOU at the next School Board Meeting!
We need members from the schools listed below to take your turn and try to either show up, or write a letter!
- High Schools: Chugiak & Eagle River
- Middle Schools: Begich & Gruening
- Elementary Schools: Alpenglow, Baxter, Chester Valley, Chugiak, College Gate, Fire Lake, Homestead, Lake Hood, Lake Otis, North Star, Nunaka Valley, Ravenwood, Rogers Park, Turnagain & Willow Crest
- Alternate / Charter: Aquarian, Birchwood ABC, Boniface Education Center, Eagle Academy, Eagle River, Northwood ABC, Stellar, Susitna & Winterberry
Itinerants: Attend with your assigned "home" school
AEA Congratulates Ben Walker, Alaska's 2018 Teacher of the Year!
Join us in congratulating AEA's own, Ben Walker as Alaska's 2018 Teacher of the Year. I was honored to join the assembly celebration at Romig this morning where Ben teaches science to his lucky students. Ben graciously accepted the award , acknowledging all the educators at Romig, whom he said share in this honor.